Based on groundbreaking research and brain science Dr. Nagoski’s New York Times Bestseller explores the science of female sexuality; why some couples stop having sex; and what they can do about it. Come As You Are combines sex education and stress education – designed to teach women how to transform their sex life into one filled with confidence and joy. The simple, but critical, lessons addressed include:
- Every woman has her own unique sexuality, like a fingerprint, and that women vary more than men in our anatomy, our sexual response mechanisms, and the way our bodies respond to the sexual world;
- Sex happens in a context. And all the complications of everyday life influence the context surrounding a woman’s arousal, desire, and orgasm; and
- The most important factor for women in creating and sustaining a fulfilling sex life, is not what you do in bed or how you do it, but how you feel about it. Stress, mood, trust, and body image are critical and central factors to women’s sexual wellbeing.
Other topics include:
- Turning On the Ons, Turning Off the Offs: How the brain interprets and regulates sexual response.
- Taking Control of the Context: Sexual response requires positive context to make it a pleasurable one.
- Responsive Desires: Desire emerges in response to pleasure. Pleasure first, then desire.
Dear Reader: Please email us with your psychology book favorites for future Book of the Month articles—our monthly book reviews designed to promote good resources for health and healing.